top of page
  • Nasima Akter

"Mujib" Biopic to Be Screened at Toronto Film Festival

"Mujib" Biopic to Be Screened at Toronto Film Festival

The biographical film "Mujib: The Making of a Nation," depicting the life of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the Father of the Nation, will be featured at the 48th Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), scheduled to take place from September 7 to September 17.

This film, a collaborative production between Bangladesh and India and directed by the Indian filmmaker Shyam Benegal, is set to be showcased on September 13 at 6:30 pm local time. The Bangladesh High Commission in Canada has confirmed this information.

The screenplay writers for the film, Atul Tiwari and Shama Zaidi, crafted the script and dialogues in Bengali. The movie featured over 100 Bangladeshi actors who portrayed a total of 150 characters. Filming for the movie commenced on January 22, 2021, at Mumbai's Film City and concluded on December 18 of the same year in Bangladesh. The production costs were divided, with Bangladesh covering 60 percent of the expenses and India contributing the remaining 40 percent.

Recently, the Bangladesh Film Censor Board, which operates under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, has issued the censor certificate for 'Mujib: The Making of a Nation.'

The first poster for the film was unveiled on March 17, 2022, coinciding with the birth anniversary of Bangabandhu while a second poster was released on May 3, 2022. The movie's trailer made its debut at the Cannes Film Festival in France on May 19, 2022.

The film features popular actor Zayed Khan in the role of Tikka Khan, and the recent release of his look as Tikka Khan has generated significant interest among the audience.

Zayed Khan expressed his excitement about being a part of this monumental project, stating, “I had the privilege of portraying the character of Tikka Khan in the 'Mujib' biopic. This project is a dream come true for me, and being a part of such a significant endeavor brings me immense joy.”

This highly-anticipated film is directed by renowned Indian filmmaker Shyam Benegal, with the screenplay crafted by Shama Zaidi and Atul Tiwari. Nitish Roy serves as the art director, and Pia Benegal, Shyam Benegal's daughter, is the costume director.

The movie boasts a stellar cast, including Arifin Shuvoo as Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Nusrat Imrose Tisha as Sheikh Fazilatunnessa Mujib, Nusraat Faria Mazhar as Sheikh Hasina, Riaz Ahmed as Tajuddin Ahmed, and Elina Shammi as Begum Khaleda Zia, among other notable actors.

About Bangabandhu

Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman is an integral figure in the history of Bangladesh. Numerous documentaries and biopics have been created to delve into the extraordinary and eventful life he led. Aside from his “Mujib: The Making of a Nation,” there is also “570.”

“570” is a narrative centered on the 36 hours following the brutal assassination of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and his family members. It is constructed using information and testimonies from the Bangabandhu assassination case in 1996.

“Mujib Amar Pita” is also one of the films portraying the life of Bangabandhu. It is a 2021 Bangladeshi computer-animated biography film, notable for being the first full-length animated film produced in Bangladesh. The movie is adapted from the book "Sheikh Mujib Amar Pita," authored by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina. The film was directed by Sohel Mohammad Rana.

"The Speech" is a documentary film from 2012 that focuses on Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman's historic speech delivered on March 7th. This documentary was written and directed by Fakhrul Arefeen Khan.


bottom of page