top of page
  • Nasima Akter

AR Rahman's Chennai Concert Faces Severe Criticism

AR Rahman's Chennai Concert Faces Severe Criticism

AR Rahman, the globally acclaimed music maestro, embarked on a musical journey that was poised to be a cultural highlight on September 10th, 2023, as he graced the stage in Chennai for a concert that had been eagerly anticipated by fans far and wide. The distinguished Oscar-winning music composer is renowned for his remarkable contributions to the world of cinema, has left an indelible mark with his memorable compositions in a plethora of iconic films. His illustrious career boasts acclaimed soundtracks for movies such as the 'Ponniyin Selvan' series, Rangeela, Bombay, Taal, Rockstar, and the critically acclaimed Slumdog Millionaire.

The maestro's creative journey continues to flourish as he embarks on several exciting upcoming projects that promise to enthrall audiences. Among his eagerly anticipated ventures are Ayalaan, Maamannan Maidaan, Pippa, Aadujeevitham, Laal Salaam, and an eagerly awaited collaboration with the visionary filmmaker Mani Ratnam, featuring the legendary Kamal Haasan in a leading role. These future projects are poised to showcase Rahman's musical genius and further cement his legacy in the world of music and cinema.

However, what was supposed to be a night of enchanting melodies and unforgettable memories swiftly transformed into a tumultuous debacle that sent shockwaves through the concert-going community and reverberated beyond the confines of the venue. This monumental event has not only sparked significant controversy but also attracted a barrage of criticism, leaving in its wake a trail of disappointment and profound concern. On Sunday, the 56-year-old star composer performed at a concert called “Marakumma Nenjam” at Adityaram Palace in Chennai city. However, things took a turn for the worse when the venue faced severe congestion, overcrowding and a “stampede-like” situation. Many fans claimed they weren’t allowed entry into the venue despite having valid tickets for the gig. “It’s overcrowded, a stampede-like situation. No regulation at all,” one fan told news channel NDTV.

As the curtain rose on that fateful night, the first unsettling issue that began to plague attendees was the glaring subpar sound quality and shockingly low volume levels. This technical shortcoming, which marred the very essence of the performance, sent ripples of frustration through the audience. The disheartening truth was that even the most ardent fans, positioned remotely from the stage, found themselves straining to discern the enchanting notes of AR Rahman's compositions. This initial flaw foreshadowed the cascade of issues that would plague the event.

Amidst the excitement and anticipation, an alarming and pressing concern emerged - the unsettling overcrowding at the event. The venue, once a sanctuary for music lovers, had transformed into a claustrophobic, uncomfortable space that induced panic attacks and anxiety among the audience. Fans who had eagerly awaited the concert were confronted with an overwhelming and stressful environment. The absence of effective crowd management measures only exacerbated the situation, pushing some attendees to make solemn vows never to subject themselves to the chaos of an AR Rahman concert again.

Adding fuel to the growing fire of discontent, disturbing reports began to circulate - ticket holders were being turned away at the venue gates. For those who had invested their hard-earned money and boundless enthusiasm into attending the event, the distress of being denied entry was palpable. It soon became abundantly clear that ticket sales had grossly exceeded the venue's modest capacity, leaving concert goers stranded and aggrieved. The aftermath of this overcrowding crisis manifested as colossal traffic jams in the vicinity, with irate attendees accusing the organizers of recklessly selling tickets far beyond the venue's physical limits.

As disgruntled concertgoers began to share their grievances on social media, the discontent and frustration reached an unprecedented crescendo. The hashtag #ARRConcert swiftly became a battleground for aggrieved fans to air their grievances. People from diverse backgrounds and experiences united in their criticism, collectively raising their voices against the organization and management of the event. This collective outcry served as an unignorable backdrop, ensuring that the issues at hand could not be brushed aside or dismissed lightly.

Amidst the chaos and dissatisfaction, reports of fights and disturbances during the concert further marred the experience. One fan, who had been brimming with anticipation for this long-awaited musical spectacle, lamented the event's organization as "very badly organized" and branded it a "waste of money and energy." She vividly recounted the stress and discomfort she endured as a result of the fights and disruptions, which compounded the already pervasive dissatisfaction stemming from the woeful sound quality.

Perhaps the most harrowing aspect of this event was the shocking allegation of molestation within the overcrowded venue. A brave woman came forward with a gut-wrenching account of her traumatic experience, recounting how she had a panic attack and was subjected to harassment by a man when she sought assistance. This deeply disturbing incident cast a dark shadow over the concert, raising grave concerns about the safety and security of concert attendees. It underscored the urgent need for enhanced security measures and vigilance at events of this magnitude.

In the face of mounting criticism and the mayhem that marred his own concert, AR Rahman himself took to social media to address the dire situation. He extended a personal appeal to those who had purchased tickets but were denied entry due to unfortunate circumstances. Rahman's team urged these individuals to share copies of their ticket purchases and their grievances via email, offering a swift response to their concerns. His response was not merely an acknowledgment of the issues but also a resolute commitment to finding solutions and catalyzing the improvement of the live art scene in Chennai.

Expanding on Instagram, Rahman boldly proclaimed, "Some people call me G.O.A.T …………let me be the sacrificial goat this time for all of us to wake up." He articulated an aspirational vision for Chennai's cultural renaissance, advocating for world-class infrastructure, efficient crowd and traffic management, and a safe environment that particularly prioritizes the well-being of children and women. His impassioned plea resonated deeply with many, as he underscored the significance of celebrating both local and international talent and creating a surreal, inclusive experience for all.

In an interview with The Hindu, AR Rahman opened up about the recent concert, expressing his perspective on the overwhelming turn of events. He described it as a "tsunami of people and love" that caught them off guard. As a composer, his primary focus was on delivering a spectacular show, assuming that the logistical aspects would be managed seamlessly. He recalled being engrossed in his performance, oblivious to the chaotic scenes unfolding outside. Rahman acknowledged that their intentions were positive, but the magnitude of the response exceeded their expectations. Currently, they are in the process of gathering data and hinted at a surprise for their fans in the near future.

The acclaimed musician also emphasized the importance of safety during the event, particularly because there were women and children in attendance. Despite the distressing incident, Rahman refrained from attributing blame to anyone, recognizing that his own passion for music and art was expanding. Reflecting on the events of that evening, he shed light on what had gone wrong. The organizers had arranged approximately 46,000 chairs at the venue. However, some sections of the audience congregated on one side, leading the on-duty police to mistakenly assume that the venue had reached its capacity, resulting in its closure. Rahman highlighted that he had limited control over the event's management, describing it as an unforeseen cyclone they had not prepared for. He juxtaposed this experience with their trouble-free concerts in the United States the previous year, where they had placed trust in an efficient system.

Rahman further acknowledged that while "Marakkuma Nenjam" had achieved the distinction of being India's highest-selling show to date, what truly mattered was how they treated people, transcending the significance of the concert itself. As a result of this incident, Rahman expressed his intent to take more ownership of arrangements in the future. He explained that, despite curating songs, selecting singers, and planning musical surprises for their audiences, they would now ensure a more comprehensive approach to event management and logistics.

The consequence of this misunderstanding was the premature closure of the venue by the on-duty police, despite the concert still being in progress inside. Rahman's explanation of this sequence of events demonstrated how a simple miscommunication or misinterpretation could lead to such a significant disruption. It highlighted the need for more effective communication and coordination between event organizers, security personnel, and the performers themselves to prevent such occurrences in the future.

As the dust began to settle and the echoes of discontent reverberated through the collective consciousness, there has been a conspicuous absence of public response from the event organizers. Their silence in the face of such widespread allegations and complaints has left countless questions unanswered and concerns unaddressed. The future of similar events in Chennai hangs in the balance, as many await with bated breath to see how the organizers will respond to the multifaceted issues that have emerged in the aftermath of the concert. The general public wants to know whether steps will be taken to prevent such a disastrous spectacle from recurring in the future, or will this remain a painful chapter in the history of live music events in the region.


bottom of page